LEWISTON – The Warrior men opened their season with a tough test against an NCAA Division I team, losing 6-1 to the Redhawks of Seattle U.
Lewis-Clark State was able to win one of the three doubles contests and Declan Townsend took home a win in No. 2 singles.
“While Seattle University won 6-1, the Warriors played inspired tennis with three Warriors playing their first ever intercollegiate match,” assistant coach Tony Anegon said.
Townsend, in his LC State debut, survived a first-set tiebreaker against Julian Worn before taking control in the second set. Austin Swing and Andy Wu teamed up to win in No. 3 doubles 6-4.
Daniil Felker was able to win the opening set in No. 1 singles 6-4, but dropped the following two sets 6-2, 6-2. Daniel Tevez battled to a first set tiebreaker win in No. 6 singles, but lost in a close battle throughout with a 10-4 loss in the third-set tiebreaker.
1. Julian Worn/Yu-Han Hsieh (SU) def. Daniil Felker/Declan Townsend (LCSC) 6-1
2. Filip Stipic/Michael Frank (SU) def. Daniel Tevez/Maksim Matyrnyi (LCSC) 6-2
3. Austin Swing/Andy Wu (LCSC) def. Dario Ristovski/Jayden Harrison (SU) 6-4
1. Filip Stipic (SU) def. Daniil Felker (LCSC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Declan Townsend (LCSC) def. Julian Worn (SU) 7-6 (7), 6-2
3. Veselin Kiselkov (SU) def. Cade Edwards (LCSC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Michael Frank (SU) def. Maksim Matyrnyi (LCSC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Yu-Han Hsieh (SU) def. Austin Swing (LCSC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jayden Harrison (SU) def. Daniel Tevez (LCSC) 6-7 (3), 6-4, 10-4
The Warriors go on the road, starting a three-match Oregon trip on Thursday against DIII Lewis & Clark College.
Stay up to date with all things Warrior Athletics at lcwarriors.com and on social media @LCWarriors.