KAMIAH – Thursday, July 21, at 1:42 p.m., Kamiah Fire-Rescue was dispatched to Highway 12, MM 59 for a vegetation fire.
KFR initially responded with a command unit, Type 6 engine, tactical tender, and medic unit. With additional units from the Idaho Department of Lands- Maggie Creek unit sending two Type 5 engines, and Lewis County Sheriff also assisting.
Upon arrival, a small fire was located with bystanders using fire extinguishers to assist in the suppression effort. KFR and IDL continued to secure the fire and IDL will have units on-scene for monitoring.
This is an excellent opportunity for some reminders.
– Secure chains of trailers/vehicles to prevent drag and spark throwing.
– DO NOT throw out smoking devices including cigarette ends and other material.
– Avoid parking in or next to dry grass with your vehicle.
– Always carry a fire extinguisher or other device to assist in fire control.
– DO NOT delay in calling 911. With current drying conditions, grasses (fine fuels) are ready to burn as noted in the region lately.