Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Local News

LifeFlight Brings Two to Lewiston After Plane Crash Near Riggins

On Wednesday, June 22, around 8 p.m., Idaho County Dispatch received a call from StateCom advising they got a call from the Air Force advising they had received a mayday from a Cessna aircraft.

The incident had also been reported to Wallowa County in Oregon as well, as the coordinates were right on the border of Wallowa County and Idaho County along the Snake River. The incident occurred near Dry Gulch on the Snake River.

There are landing strips on both sides of the river at that location. Coordinates are 45.5317, -116.5282. This was about 12.5 miles from Riggins.

Wallowa County Sheriff Joel Fish called in and advised they had already dispatched Life Flight to that location to check the area to see exactly where the plane was. While on the phone with the Wallowa County Sheriff, their dispatch center received a call from a rafter in the area who had witnessed the plane go down and advised he could see two people out of the plane walking around, but he was unsure if anyone was injured. The rafter also confirmed it was on the Idaho side.

Idaho County Sheriff’s were also advised of the possible plane crash by Tim Stephens with Idaho Division of Aeronautics while they were still speaking with Wallowa County. They advised Tim this was in fact a plane crash and there were
some people out walking around, but they had no further information.

Life Flight was contacted to confirm they had an aircraft en route and they advised that their aircraft was 14 minutes away from the location and they would provide an update when they arrived. They were updated on the information Idaho County had received from Wallowa County about what the rafter had witnessed.

Around 9 p.m., Sheriff Fish with Wallowa County called to advise dispatch that Life Flight had the two people involved. There were no injuries to the occupants and Life Flight flew them to Lewiston, Idaho.

StateCom was updated, so they could make the necessary notifications. FAA was aware of the situation as well and called us after to confirm who responded.

Currently, they do not have the names of the occupants or any other information. Life Flight was the only agency that responded.