LEWISTON – The Lewis-Clark State Women’s Tennis team showed grit in several matches to earn a 7-0 victory against College of Idaho on Sunday to improve its record to 3-3.
Two of the three doubles contests came down to the wire before the Warriors were able to win each time. Yelena Kim and Heidi Moyo outlasted Lauren Kreutzer and Leiana Almaraz 7-6 in No. 1 doubles, while Beatriz Lambru and Maria Eduarda Santos da Silva earned a victory against Anna Willcuts and Nicole Tran in No. 2 doubles 7-5.
“We used some different doubles combinations today like we have been, in previous matches. Two of the pairings were behind early in the set,” coach Kai Fong said. “They kept their competitive composure intact to give them the opportunity to win the matches.
Kim in No. 1 singles and Moyo in No. 4 singles both dropped an opening set before rallying to complete comeback victories.”
Anne Mathema did not drop a set in No. 3 singles against Nicole Tran, but had to battle back from an early first set deficit to win 7-6, 6-0.
Lambru (No. 2), Silva (No. 5) and Bonolo Molefe (No. 6) each won their singles contests in dominating fashion.
- Yelena Kim/Heidi Moyo (LCSC) def. Lauren Kreutzer/Leiana Almaraz (CI) 7-6
- Beatriz Lambru/Maria Eduarda Santos da Silva (LCSC) def. Anna Willcuts/Nicole Tran (CI) 7-5
- Anne Mathema/Bonolo Molefe (LCSC) def. Morgan Leavitt/Gracie Studer (CI) 6-0
- Yelena Kim (LCSC) def. Lauren Kreutzer (CI) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
- Beatriz Lambru (LCSC) def. Leiana Almaraz (CI) 6-1, 6-1
- Anne Mathema (LCSC) def. Nicole Tran (CI) 7-6, 6-0
- Heidi Moyo (LCSC) def. Summer Townsend (CI) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Maria Eduarda Santos da Silva (LCSC) def. Anna Willcuts (CI) 6-2, 6-2
- Bonolo Molefe (LCSC) def. Katie Carlock (CI) 6-0, 6-1
The Warriors will face the NCAA Division I Montana Grizz in back-to-back matches on Friday and Saturday at home. LC will take on DIII Whitman after Saturday’s match against Montana.
Stay up to date with all things Warrior Athletics at lcwarriors.com and on social media @LCWarriors.