ALEXANDRIA, La. – LC State Women’s Tennis opened the LSU Alexandria Invitational with a pair of victories over Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) and Texas A&M Texarkana. The Warriors opened the tournament with a 4-2 victory over the Saints before edging the Eagles 4-3. Both matches took four hours, with the second starting only an hour after the first ended.
Both victories marked LC State’s first wins against Red River Athletic Conference teams as members of the RRAC. The Warriors will compete in the conference tournament in April.
The wins move LC State to 6-5 on the season.
MATCH ONE: LC State def. Our Lady of the Lake 4-2
The Warrior women opened their Louisiana trip with a victory over Our Lady of the Lake. LC State took the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches to give the Warriors a 1-0 advantage after doubles play.
“We overcame the heat and humidity to win the four-hour match,” Head Coach Kai Fong said. “Such a learning opportunity for us to play on the road right after a full day of flying into a time zone two hours ahead. We are learning how to construct points and to put together a match as a team. It is always a challenge to transition from an individual sport to a team aspect at the college level.
Alexis Maison and April Buckingham teamed up for a strong performance in the third spot with a 6-2 win. The duo of Anne Mathema and Lina Boylan defeated their opponent 6-4 in the second slot.
Beatriz Lambru made quick work on her opponent in No. 5 singles. The sophomore won in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. Maison was victorious in her No. 6 contest with a 6-3, 6-2 win, and Boylan ended her No. 2 match in two sets 6-2, 7-6(4).
1. Yelena Kim/Catherine Khardina (LCSC) vs. Lucia Popluharova/Saskia Vogelsong (OLLU) 5-5 UNF
2. Anne Mathema/Lina Boylan (LCSC) def. Ana Ossio/Valerie Navarro (OLLU) 6-4
3. Alexis Maison/April Buckingham (LCSC) def. Melanie Guzman/Katica Ivic (OLLU) 6-2
1. Lucia Popluharova (OLLU) def. Yelena Kim (LCSC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Lina Boylan (LCSC) def. Saskia Vogelsong (OLLU) 6-2, 7-6(4)
3. Valerie Navarro (OLLU) def. Catherine Khardina (LCSC) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
4. Anne Mathema (LCSC) vs. Ana Ossio (OLLU) 604, 6-6 UNF
5. Beatriz Lambru (LCSC) def. Melanie Guzman (OLLU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Alexis Maison (LCSC) def. Katica Ivic (OLLU) 6-3, 6-2
MATCH TWO: LC State def. Texas A&M Texarkana 4-3
The winning ways continued for the Warriors in the second match of the day when LC State defeated Texas A&M Texarkana 4-3. Maria Eduarda Santos da Silva clinched the victory with her win at No. 5 singles.
LC State played from behind after dropping the doubles point. Yelena Kim picked up her first win of the day with a quick 6-1, 6-2 victory in the top spot, and Buckingham defeated her opponent at No. 6 singles 6-2, 6-1. Maison won her third match of the day with a 6-3, 6-1 final in the fourth singles spot.
TAMUT took No. 2 and No. 3 singles to tie the match 3-3. The match came down to Santos da Silva who earned a 6-2, 6-4 win in the fifth singles slot to clinch the victory.
1. Lydia Oviedo/Amber Barcenas (TAMUT) def. Yelena Kim/Lina Boylan (LCSC) 6-4
2. Andrea Castillo/Kenzie Feist (TAMUT) def. April Buckingham/Alexis Maison (LCSC) 6-3
3. Jaelee Young/Tatum Sikes (TAMUT) def. Catherine Khardina/Maria Eduarda Santos da Silva (LCSC) 6-2
1. Yelena Kim (LCSC) def. Lydia Oviedo (TAMUT) 6-1, 6-2
2. Andrea Barcenas (TAMUT) def. Lina Boylan (LCSC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Andrea Castillo (TAMUT) def. Beatriz Lambru (LCSC) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
4. Alexis Maison (LCSC) def. Jaelee Young (TAMUT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Maria Eduarda Santos da Silva (LCSC) def. Tatum Sikes (6-2, 6-4)
6. April Buckingham (LCSC) def. Kenzie Feist (TAMUT) 6-2, 6-1