SPOKANE, Wash. – The (RV) Lewis-Clark State Men’s Tennis team saw three singles contests pushed to a third set but were victorious 7-2 against NCAA Division III opponent Whitworth on Monday.
The win improved the Warriors record to 4-6 on the year.
“It’s always a challenge to play in the Whitworth bubble. We handled it well today as a team.” coach Kai Fong said. “The noise level in the bubble can resonate loudly with their vocal supporters and that’s exactly what I wanted the players to learn to neutralize mentally.”
Maksim Matyrnyi won the opening set in No. 2 singles before dropping the second set to Nathan Tjelle. Matyrnyi bounced back for a 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 victory.
Malte Sommer lost the first set in No. 3 singles but rallied past Payton Romey for a 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 win. Thomas Schaap went to a third set tiebreaker with Jess Weaver in No. 5 singles before getting the win 2-6, 6-3, 11-9.
1. Ethan Warring (WU) def. Austin Swing (LCSC) 7-6, 6-4
2. Maksim Matyrnyi (LCSC) def. Nathan Tjelle (WU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. Malte Sommer (LCSC) def. Payton Romey (WU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Alvaro Camino (LCSC) def. Henry Preacher (WU)6-2, 6-3
5. Thomas Schaap (LCSC) def. Jess Weaver (WU) 2-6, 6-3, 11-9
6. Andy Wu (LCSC) def. Lance Dunn (WU) 6-1, 6-1