The following message is transmitted at the request of the Idaho Panhandle Avalanche Center. BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE WATCH 06:00 AM PST Mon Feb 20 2023 The Idaho Panhandle Avalanche Center in Sandpoint has issued a BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE WATCH for the following areas: NWS Spokane WA – ID 017 (Bonner County)…ID 021 (Boundary County)…ID 055 (Kootenai County)…ID 079 (Shoshone County)
* WHAT…The avalanche danger for the warning area may rise to high by Tuesday morning.
* WHERE…St. Regis Basin and Silver Valley Zones. Selkirk Mountains, West Cabinet Mountains along Montana/Idaho Border and East Cabinet Mountains.
* WHEN…In effect from Monday 06:00 AM PST to Tuesday 06:00 AM PST.
* IMPACTS…Heavy snowfall and strong winds are predicted over the next 48 hours. Large avalanches at upper elevations and smaller avalanches below tree line will be likely by Tuesday.
* PRECAUTIONARY / PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…Very dangerous avalanche conditions.Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended. Avalanches may run long distances and can run into mature forests, valley floors, or flat terrain. Consult http://www.idahopanhandleavalanche.org/ or www.avalanche.org for more detailed information. Similar avalanche danger may exist at locations outside the coverage area of this or any avalanche center.
* AFFECTED AREAS: BONNER, ID … BOUNDARY, ID … KOOTENAI, ID … SHOSHONE, ID