BOISE, Idaho — The Idaho High School Activities Association have named six high school juniors as the 2022-2023 recipients of its annual Interscholastic Star Student Recognition Awards. This scholarship program is sponsored by the Idaho High School Activities Association and was established in 1992 to recognize and reward outstanding students who participate in high school athletic and non-athletic activities.
Sara Hollist (Garden Valley HS), Kenneth Wareham (Genesee HS), Sidney Pilkerton (Salmon HS), Halle Drollinger (Fruitland HS), Lucina Glynn (Bishop Kelly HS), Mirah Bennion (Madison HS) were selected from a large field of outstanding students nominated by their schools Principal.
Mirah Bennion was selected as the “Idaho Star” for 2022-2023 and will grace the back covers of the 23-24 state tournament programs.
Nominees for the scholarships are exemplary students who:
- • Through their participation, strengthen interscholastic sports and activities programs.
• Are active contributors to school and community organizations and programs.
• Are good citizens and positive role models for their peers.
• Promote the ideals of good sportsmanship and citizenship.
Each application includes an essay, recommendations from school administrators, and descriptions of athletic and activity participation in addition to service to the school and community.
Each Interscholastic Star receives a $1,000 scholarship to the college of their choice. A $500 check is also given to each Interscholastic Star’s school. Runner’s up at each level receive a $500 scholarship. The Idaho Star receives an additional $1500 scholarship.
All six Interscholastic Stars are leaders in their schools and communities:
• 1A DII Star – Sara Hollist – A multiple sport athlete at Garden Valley HS, Sara has participated in Cross Country, Basketball, Track, and Softball. She is active in Drama and played in the school band while assisting in many community-based projects throughout the city of Garden Valley.
• 1A DI Star – Kenneth “Teak” Wareham – Teak has been a part of the Football, Basketball, and State Championship Baseball team at Genesee HS. He is a member of the FFA and Student Government. He is a leader amongst his peers and community through Idaho STEM Action Center.
• 2A Star – Sidney Pilkerton – A three-sport athlete at Salmon HS, Sidney is also involved in Student Government, Music, and Speech. A member of NHS, Sidney has helped raise money for children in her community and delivered meals to those that are less fortunate at Christmas.
• 3A Star – Halle Drollinger – Halle has participated in Volleyball, Basketball, and Tennis at Fruitland HS. She enjoys music, drama, and musical theatre. Halle is very involved in her community spending over 2,540 hours of community service while also a member of various school clubs.
• 4A Star – Lucina Glynn – A State Speech and Debate qualifier for Bishop Kelly HS, Lucina also competes in Cross Country and Track & Field. She is the President of the French Club and is involved in multiple school clubs and community causes.
• 5A Star – Mirah Bennion – Member of the Madison HS Cross Country, Track & Field, and Speech and Debate teams. Mariah is passionate about music and has multiple leadership roles. She is involved in the school’s Key Club and is a youth camp leader in her community.
About the IHSAA
Founded in 1926, the Idaho High School Activities Association coordinates, supervises, and directs interscholastic
activities that enhance and protect the total educational process of all student participants. Its activities and
programs are formulated to promote citizenship and the academic missions of schools. Visit www.idhsaa.org for