Courtrooms across Idaho host hundreds of adoptions each year. This week, the Idaho Judicial Branch will celebrate that adoption process while recognizing National Adoption Day.
Over 400 foster children located in Idaho await adoption, according to a proclamation signed this month by Chief Justice G. Richard Bevan.
“To help these children find permanent, nurturing families the courts of Idaho encourage you to celebrate with us on November 18 in raising awareness about the need for adoptive homes,” the proclamation states.
While National Adoption Day is Nov. 18, a Saturday, local courts will hold various related events that Friday, Nov. 17. Plans include:
- The Second Judicial District in partnership with the Second Judicial District CASA Program will host an evening adoption celebration in Lewiston. To RSVP for the free event, please visit Caution: EmailHosting.cloud has detected a possible phishing attempt from “t.e2ma.net” claiming to be district2casa.com/adoption.
- The Third Judicial District in partnership with Region 3 Health and Welfare will also host a celebration including adoptions and a ceremony for families. Adoptions will happen on the first floor of the Canyon County Courthouse with the ceremony at noon in the Public Meeting Room of the Canyon County Administration Building, both in Caldwell. Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Director Dave Jeppesen is expected to attend and finalize an adoption for at least one family.
- The Fourth Judicial District will hold a number of adoption hearings at the Ada County Courthouse in Boise. Court and county staff will donate gift baskets, cakes and books to each newly adopted child after their hearing concludes.
- The Sixth Judicial District will host speakers, light refreshments and a free stuffed animal for youth at its Adoption Day celebration from noon to 2 p.m. at the Bannock County Courthouse in Pocatello.
- The Seventh Judicial District will commemorate Adoption Day with speakers and teddy bears for adopted children starting at 3 p.m. in the Madison County Courthouse Magistrate Courtroom in Rexburg.
For more information on these events, contact the respective judicial district.
Read Chief Justice Bevan’s proclamation at isc.idaho.gov.