Olympia – With the holiday season upon us, the Washington State Fire Marshal’s Office would like to keep fire and life safety in the forefront when shoppers are out searching for the perfect gift.
If you’re having a difficult time trying to figure out what to buy that special person, here are some suggestions:
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm – Proven fact: THEY SAVE LIVES!· Portable Fire Extinguisher – Puts out small fires or can contain it until the fire department arrives.
- Escape Ladder – Can be placed in or near windows to provide an additional escape route.
- Flashlight – In addition to lighting the way at night during an emergency, flashlights can be used to find people who require rescue and signal for help when needed.
- Whistle – Great notification tool during an emergency for those needing rescue.
- Emergency Weather Radio/Crank Radio – Used during a power outage to stay informed of any changes during disastrous weather conditions or in times of national security.
- First Aid Kit – Essential item for survival during a disaster for first aid needs.
- Solar Electronics Charger – When the power goes out, it is only a matter of time before your cell phone battery is fully drained. In these modern times, a cell phone may be your only form of communication in an emergency.
- Emergency Food/Water Kit – These kits have extended shelf lives and give the nutrition and calories needed to survive during an emergency.
- Emergency Roadside Car Kit – Harsh weather don’t occur when you are safe at home, but sometimes hit while you are on the road during the holidays. Be prepared to keep yourself and your passengers safe until assistance can arrive.